As I mentioned in my last post, apricot delights and rum balls have long been a favourite holiday treat in our house, courtesy of my Nana. They are perfect to have on hand in the fridge over the festive season when friends or family drop in - but they are also pretty good at any time of the year, especially as a great way to finish off a meal as a part of a petit four or on a fresh seasonal fruit platter.
Apricot, sour cherry & Metaxa delights
2 cups dried Turkish apricots! finely chopped
1/4 cup dried sour cherries, finely chopped (or use dried cranberries that have been soaked in a little lemon juice)
2 and 1/2 cups of dessicated coconut
1/2 - 3/4 cup of condensed milk
3 tablespoons of Metaxa brandy
1 extra cup of dessicated coconut, for rolling
12 cup icing mixture, for rolling
1. Combine condensed milk, 2 and 1/2 cups of coconut, sour cherries, Metaxa and apricots in a bowl and combine well.
2. Take teaspoons of the mixture and roll into walnut sized balls.
3. Mix remaining coconut and icing sugar in a seperate bowl. Roll the apricot balls in the coconut and icing sugar mixture.
4. Refrigerate on lined baking tray for 30mins before putting into and airtight container and storing in the fridge.
Nana's rum balls
250g weetbix or 125g Maria biscuits
3 tbsp cocoa powder (I used Green and Black's Organic drinking chocolate)
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
1 can condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 tbsp rum ( I used 'The Kraken' black spiced rum)
2/3 cup golden raisins, roughly chopped
1 cup desiccated coconut, for rolling
1. Process weetbix or biscuits in food processor until they are very fine, like breadcrumbs.
2. Pour the crumbs into a large bowl with the rest of the ingredients (except the coconut for rolling) and mix together until well combined.
3. Roll into walnut sized balls and coat with extra coconut.
4. Refrigerate on lined baking tray for 30 mins before putting into and airtight container and storing in the fridge.