March Foodie Photo A Day








Mr K can attest to the fact that I am always pointing a camera - or my iPhone - at any and everything that catches my eye. Nine times out of ten, it is usually food related. So, at the start of March I decided to channel my little obsession by joining in The Purple Carrot's fantastic "March Foodie Photo A Day" challenge. With inspiration from the "Photo A Day" challenges by Fat Mum Slim, Lesley, author of the Purple Carrot created a foodie edition for everyone who loves all things food related. Hoorah! 






I am really enjoying the March Food Photo A Day challenge. It is great to have a prompt to think creatively each day, in the context of all things food. Not only has the challenge got me thinking more about my approach to food, but I have also discovered some extremely creative and inspiring food bloggers and photographers such as London Bakes and Let's Mangia...Mangia to name but two.





If you love photography and food, I can't more highly recommend this fun challenge! In the meantime, I thought I would share one quick recipe that resulted from our kitchen this week, which was inspired by "vegetable" day! 


There is something about creamy white cauliflowers which draw me in every Autumn. Like broccoli, cauliflower also has all of those great anti-cancer phytochemicals, and is packed with vitamin C, and K - a perfect and delicious way for a mid week detox. While I don't mind the odd nibble on some raw cauliflower, this soup is perfect for when there is a slight chill in the air (or a massive downpour like there was in Sydney this week). The recipe includes a spicy topping of chickpeas and chorizo, but this soup is equally good sans the topping, just a pure bowl of creamy white cauliflower if you are so inclined! 






 Cauliflower soup with chickpea and chorizo


2 large cauliflowers
50g butter
500ml vegetable stock
500ml milk


1 medium sized chorizo, sliced  
1 small red onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
1 small can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed 
1/2 teaspoon of dried chilli flakes
1 teaspoon of ground cumin
1 teaspoon of harissa paste
1 handful flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
salt, white pepper and white truffle oil to taste


1. Roughly chop the cauliflower and gently fry in a large heavy based saucepan with the butter, do not colour. 


2. Heat the vegetable stock and milk in a separate pan and then add to the cauliflower. Bring to the boil and simmer for around 10 -15 minutes or until the cauliflower is tender. 


3. Puree the soup until smooth. Season with salt and white pepper to taste. 


4. Heat some olive oil in a frying pan and stir in the harissa paste. Add the chorizo, red onion, garlic, cumin and chilli flakes and gently fry until translucent. Add the chickpeas and heat through. Then add the parsley. Stir to combine. 


5. Pour the soup into bowls, top with the chorizo and chickpeas, drizzle with a little white truffle oil (if desired) to finish. 


3 comments

  1. I started doing the February challenge but kind of lost momentum...sad, I know! Your photos are really lovely...stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel! I started the Feb one too but ran out of steam - I think the foodie one for march is keeping me focused! btw, live your feature on the sbs site, fantastic!!!

      Delete
    2. Sorry, that should be love your feature on sbs!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments, I really appreciate every single one!

© Mulberry and Pomegranate
Maira Gall