In my kitchen this month....there is (once again) no kitchen!!! This is a short, llittle post as I am currently staying in Brooklyn, New York. The reason for my visit being a trip with Madame Zen to celebrate her birthday.
While I have no permanent kitchen here in Brooklyn, you can catch a glimpse of my kitchen back in Sydney - and learn a little more about me, on the wonderful blog, Who Does The Dishes. Just before I left for NYC, I shared a lovely afternoon cooking with Lucy, of Who Does The Dishes, as she captured my dishes, kitchen and home in her beautiful, unique photographs.
While I don't have my own kitchen here in Brooklyn, I did have time to borrow a friends kitchen to whip up a batch of vanilla-butter cookies - with my newest kitchen gadget, purchased here in Brooklyn from Paper Source - a cookie stamper!! I also purchased a very cute little 'Bon appetite' stamp from paper source. It added a great touch when packaging up my cookies in some small brown paper bags. There was always something about cookies that reminded me of the USA, none more so than when Madame Zen and I were greeted on arrival with a huge batch of scrumptious chocolate chip numbers!!!
250g unsalted butter
140g caster sugar
1/2 tsp of salt
1/2 tsp of baking powder
300g plain, all purpose flour
1 egg yolk
2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 190C.
2. Sift together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
3. Mix in pieces of the butter until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
4. Stir in egg yolk and vanilla. Mix well.
5. Wrap dough in cling film and place in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
6. Take dough out of fridge and roll into golf ball sized chunks. Flatten with the palm of your and and if you have a cookie stamper - stamp!!
7. Place on a lined or greased baking tray and bake for around 10 mins or until lightly browned. Cool on tray for a few minutes to set and then let cool on a rack.
Until the next in my kitchen, I hope you find a moment to stop by Celia's wonderful blog, Fig Jam and Lime Cordial, to see what is happening in kitchens from Australia and around the world....!!